Thursday, August 16, 2012

100 Dishes to Eat in Atlanta Before You Die: The Mission

The actual story behind this blog started in reverse.  When I came back from Seattle and Austin, I certainly was restless, but I wasn't sure what to do to solve that problem.  I considered moving to Denver and opening a food truck.  I considered becoming a sports agent.  I even considered working harder at my job.

However, one day I was surfing the internet when I stumbled upon a checklist.  But not just any checklist, a checklist that seemed to perfectly address my restlessness.  This checklist: Creative Loafing's 100 Dishes to Eat in Atlanta Before You Die.

In May 2011, Creative Loafing came out with "a list that will help you navigate [Atlanta] in all its gastronomic glory."  I have since followed up with Creative Loafing to explain my goals, the blog and to see if they have updated the list.  (Look at me being all reporter-like!).  They have yet to respond.

The list details the top 100 dishes to try in Atlanta, breaking them into twelve categories:
  1. Appetizers
  2. Breakfast
  3. Salads
  4. Soups
  5. International Snacks
  6. Sandwiches, burgers and buns
  7. Pasta, pizza and noodles
  8. Vegetable entrees
  9. Seafood entrees
  10. Meat entrees
  11. Desserts and sweets
  12. Cocktails
See! Twelve.

My goal, and the original impetus behind this blog, was to try each of the 100 dishes, and blog about my experiences at each of them.  I plan to follow some general guidelines, but I want this to be fun and enjoyable (or else it would be a job) so a lot of the meals will simply go with the flow.  In addition to writing about the quality of the actual dish, my hope is to also meet the chef and ask them about what I am trying, why they think it made the list, and what they would have put as the best thing at their restaurant.  That might be easier said than done.  Except at Popeye's and Waffle House; it will probably be pretty easy there.

I have tried a few of the items on the list, but I will be starting from scratch so to accomplish my task, I must try all 100.  It will also give me an opportunity to not only learn about new restaurants, but also return to some of the better restaurants in Atlanta.  Although the focus of each visit will be the dish in question, I will make sure to report on the whole experience and what else to try there.

Unfortunately, I already know that I will not be able to try a few of the items.  Bakeshop, Super Pan Latino Sandwich Shop and Dadd D'z BBQ Joynt have all shut down since May 2011.  Surprisingly, those are three of the places I have been (although I hadn't tried the recommendation at Bakeshop).  If I am somehow able to get through the bulk of this list, I might hunt down the owners of those places and see if they can prepare me a single serving of each.  Or else I might die before trying all 100 dishes...

Another item on the list, the Phatty cakes at Cakes & Ale will need to be satisfied at another venue.  Cynthia Wong, the former pastry chef at Cakes & Ale, took her delicious talents to Midtown, so I will need to check that box by walking two blocks down the road to Empire State South.

I had originally planned on trying to do this in 6 months until my friend pointed out that I would have to go out to eat four times a week, not counting restaurants not on the list.  So the new time frame: 1 year from trying the first thing on the list.  I certainly think it can be done and I'm really excited about the prospects.  I strongly believe that eating should be a communal activity (as I put it in my kickoff email, "eating is more fun in groups") so I encourage and hope that some of you will join me on some of these adventures.  Basically you can just text/email/comment/tweet me any night and say, "I want to try this.  Let's go."  And if you ever want to guest blog when we go to try any of these dishes, I would absolutely love that.

Looking forward to going on this mission with all of you.

Until next post...stay hungry!

Michael


No comments:

Post a Comment