Thursday, August 30, 2012

(14) Days of Blogging

And I'm back!  I certainly hope you have been staying hungry in my absence...a week is a long time to go without your fill of food404thought.  Here's hoping I can whet your appetite over the next few days as I have quite a few posts in the slow cooker (I don't use a microwave very much or else they would have been ready much sooner).

With that said, I apologize for leaving you without a new post for over a week and hope that the rest of the internet was able to keep you entertained while at work.  It won't happen again.  Who would have thought it would be so difficult to balance being a world-renowned food blogger and a world-class finance attorney?  It is a shame that you are required to pay for food in this country, although I assume it won't be long before restaurants are paying me to eat their food (and say nice things about them).  In fact, just last week I was brought free truffles while out to dinner with my friends.  I can only assume it is because the restaurant knew who I was.

This post has been in the works since last Tuesday (a week ago, not two days ago) when I started to realize that this blog could be a real thing.  I certainly have high hopes for it, but I never anticipated the warm reception that I have received in such a short period of time.

In just two weeks, I have:
  • 26 Twitter followers (counting my mom of course)
  • Been Retweeted by Creative Loafing and the Director of Marketing at Fifth Group Restaurants
  • Received a direct message on Twitter from Taste of Atlanta (Already bought my tickets!)
  • Visited two new restaurants (Alma Cocina and Harbour Bar & Fish House)
  • Chatted with the chef at Alma Cocina 
  • Posted ten blog posts (although that's not as impressive when you consider I posted 8 on the first day and none since August 22; Really should haven planned this better)
  • Been told I'm a good writer and very photogenic (I have no clue why that's relevant, but I felt like sharing) 
  • Over 1400 site visits, including
  • Tried three items on the Checklist (in addition to Ann's Snack Bar, the Bocado Burger and Fries and the Ecco Fried Goat Cheese)
  • Met the beverage manager at Lure
  • Had my review of Lure featured on its Facebook page
  • Learned how to make an Old-Fashioned from the head bartender at Ecco
  • Made two new friends
  • Been suggested several restaurants and dishes I need to try or review:
    • Atlanta Fish Market 
    • Taco Pete (try the Shrimp Taco)
    • Iberian Pig
    • Octane's amazing, pour-over coffee with an Orange Dream Star from Sublime Doughnut (apparently I haven't lived until I've tried this)
    • Cakes & Ale (since it's no longer really on the List)
    • Taco Bell (the problem with saying that I will try any place recommended to me in the Comments section is when people get all middle school and suggest gross stuff: "You have to eat it! It's a rule!")
As you can see, I've had a busy two weeks (60 hour work weeks aren't helping) and owe you several articles in the upcoming days.  I want to keep up the momentum and hope that my week away hasn't stalled that too much.  In the next week, you can expect reviews of Ecco and Alma Cocina, as well as my take on the Bocado Burger.  I also want to share my experience at Ecco's Sunday School, a neat adult beverage education series with topics ranging from bartending to port wines to absinthe.

For those of you who know me, you are probably thinking that this early success is the worst thing ever for my ego; heck, this entire post probably sounds like I'm bragging.  However, I am truly grateful for all of the support so far and have been so flattered by the positive feedback from both my friends and members of the Atlanta food community.  It's pretty cool knowing that people read what I write and potentially decide whether to try a restaurant based on what I say.  As a very famous (imaginary) person once said, "With great power comes great responsibility") and I don't want to let Uncle Ben down (Spiderman's uncle; not the rice guy).  Simply put, thank you and I look forward to continuing this feast with you!

Until next post...Stay hungry!

Michael


2 comments:

  1. Also said by a very famous, real person Voltaire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're kind of only half-way back, yes?

    ReplyDelete