Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Here We Go...


Welcome to food404thought! 

The point of this blog in its most general sense is to provide a glimpse of the food culture in Atlanta.  I recently went to visit two great friends in Austin and was blown away by not only the food culture in Austin, but how the entire city seems to embrace it.  Good food was not synonymous with expensive food, and some of the best meals in the city come out of trailers and converted motor homes.  I would say that Atlanta also has a strong foodie identity but more often than not, you will have to go to a "nice restaurant" to get a taste.

Having both southern and soul roots, there is definitely some very good food in Atlanta (unless you're on a diet).  But despite living here for almost five years, I was unable to answer this very simple question: "Where would you take a friend to dinner if he had never been to Atlanta before?"  I was eventually able to come up with two places, but I was ashamed that it took me so long to think of any (The Vortex, Little Five edition of course, and Fat Matt's Rib Shack).  I certainly have favorite restaurants in Atlanta, but I wanted to answer in the context of restaurants which show off Atlanta's food culture.

My hope with this blog is to sample a lot of the food in this city and give readers (and myself) an answer to that question.  I anticipate that it will evolve as I figure out what the heck I am doing, but I already have my first mission (See 100 Dishes to Eat in Atlanta Before You Die).  I also want to bring my own sense of humor to this blog so you're both entertained and educated.  Think Good Eats, the Blog Version.  Or to paraphrase my favorite Kentucky blog (oh yeah, I'm a University of Kentucky fan in case you didn't know), I want to bring Atlanta food culture to you in the most ridiculous manner possible.

Finally, I would like to specifically credit Mike Galante for helping me (read: coming up) with the name for this blog.  He was certainly an inspiration for my getting more involved in the food scene in Atlanta, as he is an active member eater of Austin's incredible food culture.  If you're interested in how I gained ten pounds in four days, take a peek at Mike's blog:  A Mike's Life: The Austin Experience: Day 1

I am really excited about this blog (and eating lots of food), and I hope y'all enjoy reading it and staying updated on what to eat in Atlanta.  I hope that readers will stay involved through the comments section, and if anyone ever wants to meet up to taste something Atlanta has to offer, I would be more than happy to.  And if you're a cute girl, I might just pay too.

Until my next post...stay hungry!

Michael
 

No comments:

Post a Comment