Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Meet the Author (That's me!)

I guess I should probably tell you a little bit about myself before I really get started.  I assume that most people who read this in the first few weeks already know me, but my hope is this grows and I eventually become a world-renowned food critic.  And at that point, people will want to know, "Who is this handsome blogger/lawyer turned world-renowned food critic?"

I'm a 27-year old single lawyer who lives in Midtown and has been in Atlanta for almost five years.  I was a law student the first three years, and have been working for the past two, so I've been able to experience eating both as a prince and a pauper.  I've always enjoyed eating, but a fundamental switch happened while I was in Europe after I took the bar exam.  While there, I read both The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food, and the result was not only a better appreciation for eating local and organic, but also for eating good food, with good friends.  Plus, I've always been blessed to be able to eat whatever I want without having to run a marathon after each meal to keep from putting on any weight (I've already lost those ten pounds I gained in Austin).

I recently visited both Austin and Seattle, and when I came back, I pretty much turned crazy.  Like Howard Hughes peeing in bottles crazy.  More accurately, I've grown restless and am looking for a legitimate hobby beyond watching sports (Who's ready for football?!  Not a Kentucky fan, that's for sure...)

The solution to my restlessness: Write a food blog (my other option was have tons of casual sex, but this seemed easier).  Both Austin and Seattle appeared to have such wonderful food cultures, and I loved how involved Mike (remember him?) was in the Austin food scene.  Like seriously, he knows every food truck vendor in town.  There's even one that used to be a lawyer (Hmm...)  I want to find out where the spots are to eat (not necessarily "The Spots"), and I want to get to know people in the industry and where they would recommend to eat.

Most importantly, I want to break down Atlanta food culture for both the princes and the paupers.  One of the things I noticed in Austin was that you could eat good food for cheap.  There were only a handful of "Nice Restaurants" but you certainly didn't need to go to them to eat well.  In Atlanta, to be an accepted foodie, you often have to spend because a lot of the good food is not found at a food truck or a dive.  Which isn't to say I don't love dressing up and getting the ten course tasting menu, but sometimes I want a delicious $3 taco with more than 88% beef.

Similarly, I want to provide insight on the Atlanta food scene from someone who doesn't know much about the interplay of food.  I know what I like, and I know what I don't like.  I know when something tastes good (to me), and I know when something is objectively good.  But I don't know if saffron and allspice blend well together (without just trying it), or whether the taste of Brussels sprouts is enhanced more by cooking it in bacon fat or olive oil (I would guess bacon).  With that said, I do know how to cook, and I've never killed anyone or gone hungry with my cooking.  I love experimenting (in the kitchen!) but it's tough to be too creative when you work a lot and generally cook for one.

My goal is to report on what I've enjoyed, why I enjoyed it, and to the extent possible, provide background and context as to why the meal works (assuming chefs are willing to talk to me before I am world-renowned).  I also anticipate posting recipes, local food events, and new restaurants.  I might even venture to the beverage side of the aisle so you don't miss any of the wonderful beer fests that Atlanta has to offer.  Basically, anytime I eat, you are going to know about it.  I'm creative and adventurous, and I hope to bring that same mentality to this blog.

Until next post...stay hungry!

Michael

3 comments:

  1. Easier or more accessible? :) Can't wait to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although our friendship runs deep, I have a feeling its this blog that's going to actually get us to come visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gained 10 lbs? Where do you put it, in your sock? I guess we'll have burn it off training sometime. Edgar 'Muay Thai guy' Ferrer

    ReplyDelete